Friday, May 7, 2010

Perfect Day

Last week I had the honor of attending Will's end of the year program at school. We awoke to perfect blue skies, fluffy white clouds and sunshine that we hadn't seen in days. Will could barely contain his excitement as I packed our picnic lunch: chicken sandwiches, carrots and hummus, veggie straws, cantaloupe and Teddy Grahams.

After dropping Kate off to Grandma for her own adventure filled afternoon Will and I set out for the park. After we parked the car we started the walk to our picnic site. He reached up and grasped my hand, his slightly sticky from excitement. When we arrived at the shelter Will was a little shy. He carefully looked around at all of the adults and hid under a table. But thankfully his wonderful teacher, Mrs. Moore, was there to help him feel comfortable and safe. Once his best friend Benjamin arrived it was all I could do to have him even acknowledge my presence.

When all of the students had arrived, Mrs. Moore announced that it was time for lunch. All of the moms spread their picnics out in front with care and love. The boys quickly ate so that they could resume their fun and play. When everyone had finished eating the program began. Mrs. Moore and Mrs. Wightman brought blankets for all of the moms and kids to sit on. We were then treated to the magical sound of children signing. There were several songs just for mom's and some others that were just silly and fun. When the singing was finished, each child presented their mom with a special gift: a cinnamon heart and special book that was all about me!

The final portion of the day included the kids running around like crazy on the playground. Will was shy at first and then took off with his friends. He only came over to check in with me once and then he was gone. When it was time to leave he grasped my hand in his sweaty hand and we walked back to the car. He told me that he had a great time, better than he thought. He also told me that he loved me. It was a perfect end to a perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment